Start Time: Wednesdays at 3 pm
Session length: 7 weeks
- 11/15/2021 – 02/14/2022 – Session 1 (Full)
- 3/23/2022- 5/07/2022- Session 2
Demographic: Adults who are in active recovery from an eating disorder.
Maximum number of participants: 10
Do you feel guilty after eating? Do you feel shame or perhaps even hatred towards your body? Do you find yourself saying, “No one understands what it’s like to fight this battle every day”? If you answered yes to any of these questions, then this group is for you.
Eating disorders often occur following a traumatic or stressful event, often something to control when life feels so very out of control. Eating disorders do not happen in isolation, but co-occur with experiences of trauma, anxiety, depression, and mood disturbances. What makes eating disorders that much more challenging to recover from is that we live in a culture where these behaviors are very often affirmed and even celebrated.
In each of our group sessions, we will explore a topic relevant to recovery, whereby group participants can find support and solidarity. Eating disorders thrive in silence, secrecy, and shame. Speaking your truth, sharing your story as you feel safe and comfortable to do so, and finding solace and comfort with fellow survivors can be a transformative conduit to liberation.
It is important to note that although eating disorders have historically been portrayed as only impacting white, cis gender, female identified persons, no one is immune from struggling with an eating disorder. Research shows that they effect individuals of all sizes, ethnicities, genders and orientations. However, many people do not seek help due to the stereotypes and stigma that undergirds these conditions. All genders, orientations, sizes, and ethnicities are welcome in this group.
- Meeting 1: “But You Don’t Look Like You Have an Eating Disorder”- Dispelling the Myths, Debunking the Stereotypes
- Meeting 2: “My Body Was Free; My Mind Was Not”- Identifying and Challenging Eating Disordered Thoughts
- Meeting 3: Diet Culture, Intuitive Eating, Health At Every Size
- Meeting 4: Body Image and Body Liberation
- Meeting 5: Emotions Are Your Friends
- Meeting 6: Identify Your Triggers and Let’s Build the Toolbox
- Meeting 7: Art Therapy: Create the Recovery You Envision
To join contact your provider or call (971) 266-6910.