Portland OR &Vancouver WA
Integrating psychotherapy, medication management, acupuncture, reiki & massage for an encompassing and empowering approach to healing.
Athena Phillips, LCSW, Founder/ Therapist, ITTC
Call Athena 971.266.6910 Ext. 301
My career in behavioral health began in 1995, where I stumbled upon a position working with developmentally disabled children and adults. My faith in human capacity and resilience is rooted in this experience; the people I was hired to serve were my teachers. The foundation of my current approach to therapy was developed in what they taught me, which is essentially to approach work with people from the assumption of capacity and strength. Establishing each working relationship from this perspective allows me to hold an unspoken belief in the ability to succeed as well as having the flexibility to define that success in a nuanced way.
Working with this population prompted me to pursue my Bachelors degree in Social Work, which I completed at Pacific University. I graduated here Magna Cum Laude and was Social Work Student of the Year in 2000. During my internship at the Sexual Assault Resource Center, I helped develop a sexual assault prevention curriculum for children to be utilized within the school system. My interest in the treatment of trauma began to develop here and prompted me to pursue my graduate degree. I completed my Masters in Social Work from Portland State University where I was the recipient of the Laurels Scholarship and graduated Magna Cum Laude.
Following the completion of my education, I provided in-home family therapy for those involved in the child welfare system. Additionally, I worked as a medical social worker providing assessments, continuity of care plans and crisis intervention work in a hospital setting. I also worked as a psychiatric social worker at an inpatient psychiatric hospital for geriatric patients. My interest and passion for working with trauma survivors continued to fester, and in 2007 I opened my private practice specializing in this area. As my practice has evolved, dissociative disorders have become a focus of the work that I do, as has a pursuit of community-based trauma and disaster relief. My own relationship with art and creativity has prompted me to offer specialized services to artists while simultaneously viewing creativity as an integral value of my practice. The demand for a progressive view to working with post-traumatic stress, dissociative identity disorder and related mental health challenges prompted me to create a center that is tailored for survivors. In opening Integrative Trauma Treatment Center, my goal is to provide a place where people know that their experiences will be acknowledged, that high-quality care will be provided from a progressive standpoint, and that each type of trauma will be addressed in a focused way.
ITTC has continued to evolve and has expanded to include training and education locally and internationally with a deliberate focus on global mental health. I have provided specialized training to health care and mental health professionals on the topics of Trauma and the Body, Dissociative Disorders, and Trauma-Informed Care. In partnership with the Global Engagement Institute and the University of Rwanda, we provided a multicultural trauma training in Kigali, Rwanda to a group of American and Rwandan clinicians.
- Global mental health
- Child through elder adults
- Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID/otherwise known as multiple personality disorder)/Trauma & Dissociation
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PSTD)
- Professional Consultation for DID & PSTD
- Sexual Assault, Domestic Violence, Political/Organizational Violence
- Vicarious Trauma
- First Responders
- Mental health professionals
- Medical professionals
- Anxiety, Depression, & addiction secondary to trauma
- On-site Crisis Intervention/Psychological first aid
- Disaster Response
- Remote services for high profile cases/individuals and professional privacy
- Adjunctive EMDR with professionals
My Training & Approaches
- Presenter, Multicultural Trauma Training, 2016, University of Rwanda, Kigali, Rwanda
- Certified EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization & Reprocessing)
- Certified CISD (Critical Incident Stress Debriefing)
- Dr. David Burns, “Scared Stiff” Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Anxiety
- Internal Family Systems (IFS) Level I & II
- Presenter: International Society for the Study of Trauma & Dissociation (ISST-d) National Conference, 2010, 2011
- Presenter; Cedar Hills Hospital, Portland, OR., 2015, Trauma & the Body, Dissociative Disorders
- Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavior Therapy (TF-CBT)